Roy Eagleson completed his PhD with Zenon Pylyshyn at the UWO Centre for Cognitive Science in 1992. After a short post-doctoral position at Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science, he was on Faculty in Toronto before returning to the University of Western Ontario in 1996. His research has involved computational theories of perception, spatial reasoning, and is currently a Full Professor in Software Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering.
Professor Eagleson supervises graduate students and post-doctoral students in Neuroscience and in research on Perception, Action, and Spatial Cognition in Virtual and Augmented Reality environments. In particular, with applications for Surgical Simulation and Training, Anatomy Learning, and Clinical Skills Assessment.
His research approach to the design of Surgical and Clinical Procedure Simulators stresses a Software Engineering methodology that emphasizes both Task-Based and User-Centred approaches to interface design. His research program focuses on the special capacities and constraints of the human perceptual, cognitive, and motor system in the design of interactive 3D biomedical visualization tools. Furthermore, these training modules must be developed in a way that can support not only quantitative usability testing, but also objective performance metrics. With these tools in development, he is embarking on a set of long-term studies that will follow-through on the uptake of healthcare and surgical curriculum models, to show validity as training tools by tracking the surgical outcome scores of residents through their residency. His research programme involves a scientific approach in which the design of these AR/VR interfaces is informed by on-going studies into the special capacities and constraints of the human perceptual, motor, and cognitive systems.
- Adam,R, Ghahari,D, Morton,B, Eagleson,Roy, de Ribaupierre,S (2022) “Brain Network Connectivity and Executive Function in Children with Infantile Hydrocephalus” Journal of Brain Connectivity. 2022 Nov;12(9):784-798.
- Wang,J, Nichols,E, Mueller,M, de Vrijer,B, Eagleson,Roy, McKenzie,C, de Ribaupierre,S, Duerden,E (202) “Semi-automatic segmentation of the fetal brain from Magnetic Resonance Imaging” Frontiers Journal of Neuroscience Brain Imaging Methods, 11 November 2022
- Pur,D, Preti,G, de Ribaupierre,A, Van de Ville,D, Eagleson,Roy, Mella,N, de Ribaupierre,S (2022) “Mapping of Structure-Function Age-Related Connectivity Changes on Cognition Using Multimodal MRI” Frontiers Journal in Aging Neuroscience, 14(1)
- Dong,H, Ho,E, Shin,H, Banerjee,T, Masschelein,G, Davidson,J, deRibaupierre,S, Eagleson,Roy, Symonette,C (2021) “DIGITS App – Smart Phone Augmented Reality for Hand Telerehabilitation” Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering: Imaging & Visualization (TCIV) 10(3):pp.1-8.
- Alsowaina,K, Atashzar,F, Pur,D, Eagleson,Roy, Patel,R, Elnahas,A, Hawel,J Alkhamesi,N and Schlachta,C (2021) “Video Context Improves Performance in Identifying Operative Planes on Static Surgical Images” Journal of Surgical Education. 79(2):pp.492-499.
- Pur,D, Eagleson,Roy, Lo,M, Jurkiewicz,M, Andrade,A, and de Ribaupierre,S (2021) “Presurgical brain mapping of the language network in pediatric patients with epilepsy using resting-state fMRI” Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics v.27(3), pp.259-268.
- Mu,Y, Hocking,D, Wang,ZT, Garvin,G, Eagleson,Roy, and Peters,T (2020) “Augmented Reality simulator for ultrasound-guided percutaneous renal access” International journal of computer assisted radiology and surgery 15 (5), pp.749-757.
- Zaika,O, Boulton,M, Eagleson,Roy, and de Ribaupierre,S (2020) “Simulation reduces navigational errors in cerebral angiography training” Advances in Simulation 5(1), 1-8.
- Faieghi,M, Atashzar,S, Tutunea-Fatan,R, and Eagleson,Roy (2020). “Parallel Haptic Rendering for Orthopedic Surgery Simulators”. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 5(4), 6388–6395.
- Sandig,M, Roth,J, Rivero,M, Tarbell,R, Mu,Y, Eagleson,Roy, and Wilson,T (2020) “Is teaching Histology in 3D useful?” Journal of Anatomy, v.236.
- Lo,M, Kishimoto,J, Eagleson,Roy, Bhattacharya,S, and de Ribaupierre,S (2020) “Does ventricular volume affect the neurodevelopmental outcome in infants with intraventricular hemorrhage?” Journal of Children’s Nervous System, v.36(3), pp.569-75.
- Roy,P, Bhattacharya,S, Eagleson,Roy, Fenster,A, de Ribaupierre,S (2020) “Does the Head Position Affect Neonatal Lateral Ventricular Volume?” American journal of perinatology, v.29
- Goldberg,E, McKenzie,C, de Vrijer,B, Eagleson,Roy, and de Ribaupierre,S (2020) “Fetal Response to a Maternal Internal Auditory Stimulus” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging v.52(1), pp.139-145
- Faieghi,M, Tutunea-Fatan,R, and Eagleson,Roy (2020) “Parallelized collision detection with applications in virtual bone machining” Computer methods and programs in biomedicine, v.188.