Jacob Shelley holds a joint appointment with the Faculty of Law and the School of Health Studies in the Faculty of Health Sciences, has a cross appointment to the Schulich Interfaculty Program in Public Health, and is Associate Faculty with the Rotman Institute of Philosophy. Jacob is the Director of the Health Ethics, Law & Policy (HELP) Lab at Western. He has a doctorate in law (SJD) from the University of Toronto, where he was a Vanier Fellow with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
His doctoral thesis, under the supervision of Trudo Lemmens, examined the use of private law in obesity prevention, specifically looking at the use of product liability law to require food manufacturers to warn consumers about the dangers inherent in their food products. He obtained his LLB (2007) and LLM (2009) from the University of Alberta, and he has a MTS from Conrad Grebel University College (2006). His primary area of interest is the proper limits and role of law in promoting public health and preventing chronic disease. In addition, he is generally interested in issues that arise at the interface of law, health science, and ethics.
- J.J. Shelley, T. Sheldon & T. Bailey, “Introduction to the Fourth Edition” in T. Bailey, T. Sheldon & J.J. Shelley, eds., Public Health Law & Policy in Canada, 4th ed (Markham, ON: LexisNexis, 2019).
- N.M. Ries & J.J. Shelley, “Legal Foundations of Public Health in Canada” in T. Bailey, T. Sheldon & J.J. Shelley, eds., Public Health Law & Policy in Canada, 4th ed (Markham, ON: LexisNexis, 2019).
- B. von Tigerstrom & N.M. Ries & J.J. Shelley, “Law and the Promotion of Healthy, Nutrition and Physical Activity” in T. Bailey, T. Sheldon & J.J. Shelley, eds., Public Health Law & Policy in Canada, 4th ed (Markham, ON: LexisNexis, 2019)
- B. von Tigerstrom, S. Quinn-Hogan & J.J. Shelley, “Tobacco Control and the Law in Canada” in T. Bailey, T. Sheldon & J.J. Shelley, eds., Public Health Law & Policy in Canada, 4th ed (Markham, ON: LexisNexis, 2019).
- A. Moszczynski & J.J. Shelley, “Concussions” in T.L. Archibald, ed., Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2019 (Toronto: Thompson Reuters, 2019).
- K. Latuskie & J.J. Shelley, “Food Safety and the Law” in Heather McLeod-Kilmurray, Nathalie J Chalifour & Angela Lee, eds, Food Law in Canada (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2019).
- J.J. Shelley & M.L. McPhail, “Restrictions on the Marketing and Advertising of Food Products” in Heather McLeod-Kilmurray, Nathalie J Chalifour & Angela Lee, eds, Food Law in Canada (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2019).
- J.J. Shelley, “Public Health Law” in L. Hardcastle, ed., Introduction to Health Law in Canada (Toronto: Emond Montgomery Publications, 2019).
- N.M. Ries & J.J. Shelley, “Public Health Law” in Ben White, Lindy Willlmott & Fiona McDonald, Health Law in Australia, 3rd ed (Thomson Reuters, 2018).
- J.J. Shelley, “Chronic Disease and Public Health” in Joanna Erdman, Erin Nelson & Vanessa Gruben, eds, Canadian Health Law and Policy, 5th ed (Markhan, ON: LexisNexis, 2017) 503-526.
- J.J. Shelley, “A Future for Obesity Litigation in Canada? A Reflection on the Duty to Warn After Létourneau” (2018) McGill Journal of Law and Medicine, forthcoming.
- J. Horne, J. Gilliland, J. Madill & J.J. Shelley, “A critical examination of legal and ethical considerations for nutrigenetic testing with recommendations for improving regulation in Canada: From science to consumer” (2019) Journal of Law and the Biosciences, doi:10.1093/jlb/lsaa003, in press.
- C.Y. Wang, R.R. Zheng, Z.A. Doerrer, A.O. Kurta, J.J. Shelley & E.C. Siegfried, “Healthcare Regulation, The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and Access to Medicine: Our Experience with Dupilumab for Children” (2019) Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2020.01.019.
- P. Tucker, M. Driediger, L.M. Vanderloo, S.M. Burke, J.D. Irwin, A. Johnson, J.J. Shelley & B.W. Timmons, “Exploring the Feasibility and Efficacy of a Childcare PhysicaL ActivitY (PLAY) Policy: Rationale and Protocol for a Pilot Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial” (2019)16 International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 4400, doi: 10.3390/ijerph16224400.
- M.L. McPhail & J.J. Shelley, “Freedom of Expression Litigation and the Harms of Cannabis” (2019) 96:3 University of Toronto Medical Journal 69-73.
- J. Horne, C. O’Connor, J. Madill, J.J. Shelley & J. Gilliland, “A systematic review of genetic testing and lifestyle behaviour change: Are we using high quality genetic interventions and considering behaviour change theory” (2018) 11 Lifestyle Genomics 49-63.
- K.L. Tulsieram, S. Rinaldi & J.J. Shelley, “Recommendations: Will the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act go far Enough?” (2017) 108:3 Canadian Journal of Public Health e328-e330.
- J.J. Shelley, M. Clark & T. Caulfield, “The Face of Chiropractic: Evidence Based?” (2015) 20(1) Focus on Alternative and Complimentary Therapies 13-22.