CALL FOR VISITING FELLOW APPLICATIONS
Our visiting fellows programme is designed to facilitate scholarly engagement between the wider academic community and the members of the Rotman Institute of Philosophy. Visiting Fellows will have the opportunity to conduct their research in collaboration with one or more members of the Institute.
The programme is open to qualified candidates pursuing research overlapping with or otherwise complementing scholarly activities currently being pursued in the Institute. Visits may last anywhere from two weeks to an entire academic year. During the visit Fellows will take up residence in the Institute and London, Ontario.
Candidates at all career stages are welcome to apply (PhD required prior to appointment), though preference will be given to early career researchers.
Review of applications starts 1 April of the academic year before the visit. For visits during the 2020-21 academic year, materials must be received by 31 March 2020. Informal inquiries about possible additional openings are welcome at any time of year.
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact one or more members of the Rotman Institute to discuss possible plans and research directions in advance of the formal application. In order to complete your application, please fill the form below and send separately the following documents to email@example.com, specifying “visitor application” in the subject:
1. Cover Letter, outlining plans for your time at Rotman
2. Curriculum Vitae, including a publication list
A number of Fellows with diverse research backgrounds have visited the Institute. Learn more about some of our recent visiting fellows:
- Carlo Rovelli, Physics, Université de Aix-Marseille (2019 – 2020)
- Allan Franklin, Physics, University of Colorado Boulder (Fall 2019)
- Lousie Barrett, Psychology, University of Lethbridge (Fall 2019)
- Lucina Uddin, Cognitive & Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Miami (Fall 2019)
- Jennifer Flynn, Philosophy, Memorial University (2019 – 2020)
- Arthur Sullivan, Philosophy, Memorial University (2019 – 2020)
- Simon Friedrich, Philosophy, University of Groningen (Summer 2019)
- Şerife Tekin, Philosophy, University of Texas, San Antonio (Spring 2019)
- Rob Rupert, Philosophy, University of Colorado Boulder (Spring 2019)
- Nico Orlandi, Philosophy, University of California, Santa Cruz (Spring 2019)
- Diane O’Leary, Philosophy, University of Maryland (2018 – 2019)
- Stathis Psillos, Philosophy, University of Athens (multiple visits, 2016 – 2020)
Previous visiting fellows have taken part in a variety of events at the Institute. Learn more about some of our recent events with visiting fellows:
- Rotman Dialogue with Jenann Ismael: How Physics Makes Us Free
- Jenann Ismael: The link between time, totality, and determinism (or why the problem of determinism is really the problem of fatalism)
- Stathis Psillos: From natures to laws of nature
- Writing for a general audience: a workshop with science writer Kayt Sukel
- Robert Rupert – There Is No Personal Level: On the Virtues of a Psychology Flattened from Above
- Şerife Tekin: The Indispensability of Patient Testimonies for Objectivity in Psychiatry
- Rotman Dialogue with Louise Barrett: Enactivism, pragmatism…behaviorism?
- Allan Franklin – Measuring Nothing Repeatedly: Null Experiments in Physics
- Diane O’Leary: “All in Your Head”: Medicine’s Worrisome Struggle with Subjective Evidence
- Work in Progress Seminar with Jennifer Flynn